Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Cotton Body Suite

I saw this fabric and had to make something for Riley :) So here is how I made this super cute little cotton body suite!!
I started out by grabbing one of Riley's body suites and laid it out on the fabric cutting it out bigger. Make sure to make the leg holes huge!! Because they need to be gathered up when it is sewn together.

I then cut out an identical one and made the crotch area skinnier and the neck hole bigger on the front.  I then set the two pieces on top of my liner fabric; and cut out the same pieces.
I then put the right side and the liner together and sewed them together making the seam on the inside. After I sewed the two together I left a few inches to turn it right side out. But, before you turn it make sure you clip all of the curves so that it lays flat.
 Make sure you don't cut your stitches though, that just makes a mess in the end!! After it is flipped right side out I ironed it really well and brought out all of my curves and tough corners.  Here is the trickier part. Elastic, I measured Riley's thighs and she had 9 1/2" circumference, So I cut my 1/4" elastic to be 4 1/4" length on each side of the legs so together they will equal her 9 1/2". Pull the elastic all of the way across the leg holes you have and put a stitch all the way down while pulled.  When you release it will be super cute and gathered.

After the legs are done on four sides I stitched the sides together up to the arm holes. I wanted to make little sleeves; so I cut out a strip of fabric about 9"x3" and stitched 3" elastic down it to make it really gathered and cute.

I tucked it under the little sleeve and stitched it around the arm holes. I wanted her head to fit easily through the head hole so I put another elastic gather on the front so it would stretch over her head.
The last step I just put snaps together on the bottom like a normal body suite. Boda Bing Boda Boom.  I had a super cute body suite!!


No comments:

Post a Comment