Search This Blog

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Patchwork Skirt


Here in Logan there is this great bead store called Beatles and Beads.  They have this fun little boutique section.  It was there about two years ago that I saw this adorable patch work  baby skirt.  I could believe it when I saw that it was $25 bucks though.  So, I took a mental picture of the skirt and saved some cute fabric scraps to make the skirt in the future. Luckily, I made a great car seat cover and had a bunch of left over fabric.   

To start off I cut my fabric scraps into six 4"x5" strips of each color that I was using.  (I only used two colors). Then I cut a 4"x2" of each color.



Then I laid them out like so and pinned the right sides together. 

After I sewed them together I found a scrap piece of fabric to use as a lining.  I just set this on top of the lining and cut around it. I wanted a border piece on the bottom so I just measured out how long I needed it and made it 3" wide. 
with the bottom border This is what is what I had.  This is only half of the skirt, I made it in two sections that I stitched together. 
Here is what the back looks like with the lining piece stitched in. Next I went along the top seam and pinned in my elastic.  and did a loose stitch by hand beneath it.  taking the stitch I tried my best to make a even gathering pattern. Then restitched it together with my sewing machine.
So to finish it off I stitched both of my half skirts and this is what I ended up with :)
After I made the skirt I realized that it was a little short so I thought it would be really cute to make a diaper cover out of the same material.  I grabbed a diaper cover and traced it onto what fabric I had left. Leaving enough space for seams and elastic. I didn't take any pictures of how to make the diaper cover so I'll have to make another one for a different post. Here is what it turned out like. 
Sorry about the bum shots but it was the best way to show the diaper cover :)

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment