Search This Blog

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Stuffed French Toast

I decided to make a hybrid of Stuffed French Toast and Ree Drummond's French Toast. You're welcome.

 First the french toast mixture!

4 egg yokes, no joke only the yokes!!! Save those yummy whites for my cake recipe!
Add in 1 tbsp. of cinnamon and whip them together.  If you mix the egg yokes and cinnamon together first you don't have the floating cinnamon on the top of the french toast, you know how the first 3 three pieces get cinnamon and then it is gone? Yeah, do this and it will stay mixed! All the french toast get cinnamon.
Next, vanilla, 1 tsp splash, or more if you really like it.

 Next throw in heavy cream, I put in about a cup.  Then I add a cup of whole milk.  Pioneer Woman uses half and half you could substitute that in for sure, I just don't usually have that on hand.   Mix up that goodness and move on to the filling.   Pioneer Woman also puts sugar in her french toast recipe I skipped it because of all the powdered sugar that is going into the recipe.


 Put in one brick of cream cheese (8oz) room temp.  and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar. Whip that together with 1/3 cup of sour cream.  Add in a splash of vanilla 1tsp or so. 

Next prep those strawberries, I like them cut nice and thin, that way I can spread a thin layer over the cream filling.

Cover one side of bread with the cream filling, I like a thick cut white bread or you can even use a crusty french bread. I like mine a little dried out for this. It just soaks every thing up so well when it is dried out.  If you use a loose light weight and it might fall apart so make sure you have a nice sturdy bread.

Then put a layer of strawberries and another piece of bread put a really really light layer of the cream filling so it works like a glue to hold the goodness together.


Get your griddle nice and warm.  I like mine at about 350.  Give it a good layer of butter and line up those puppies! 
Make sure you take your time. I like the outside of mine to be nice and crisp.  The filling will get warm and gooey and may leak out a little bit!

Sprinkle a little more powdered sugar and another layer of strawberries, syrup, and enjoy!
My Husband Michael is very proud of his bacon cooking skills.
He cuts them in half so they cook more evenly.

French Toast Mixture
4 Large Egg Yokes
1 tbsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 cup Whole Milk.

Mix the egg yokes and cinnamon together then add the other ingredients.  mix together throughly.

Cream Filling
8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup sour cream

Whip it all together cream cheese needs to be room temp.

1 lb. strawberries sliced thin.

You need a sturdy bread that will hold together when wet.  French bread or a thick sandwich bread :)

Sandwich it up and grill on a buttered griddle.  take your time. make sure the outside is crispy. I like my griddle on 350 and I let them cook for at least 4 minutes on each side.  Each griddle is different if it is browning too fast turn it down. If it isn't cooking at all turn it up a bit.




1 comment: